CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Picking One Rod and Reel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking One Rod and Reel
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Ive been out of fishing for over 10 years but do to being laid off i have once again picked up my beloved hobby. Lots have changed in those years equipment wise and im not up to speed. i need recommendations for a 40-50lb set up. I can only afford one but will pay to have quality. Any thoughts?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Avet HX on a Super Seeker 6470-perfect combo!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Whats your intended use for this 40-50lb setup?

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Really looking for something as general purpose as possible, mostly a live bait/casting set up. All my gear now is inshore stuff and up to about 25lb. Hoping to do some offshore this year for tuna etc.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Hi Nijolo. There's definitely no shortage of reels in that class (40#-50#). It's nice to have a reel that can pull double duty for jigs and bait as well as a rod that can do the same.

I think you mentioned in a different thread that you were looking to do a 5-day trip. Most likely, that trip will be headed to Guadalupe for a shot at some nice tuna (up to 100 lbs), or Cedros for yellows pushing 40 lbs.

I definitely like a 2-speed reel for this type of application. I asked Megan (one of our employees here in the SD shop) what her opinion was. Like me, she liked the Avet LX 2-speed. Or, for a few bucks more, the Accurate 600 or 600N 2-speed is also an excellent choice. I'd back either reel with 65# spectra and put either a 40# or 50# topshot on it. If you are used to and like fishing spectra, you could fish straight spectra and a short 5' fluorocarbon leader. Or, if you're like me, you may prefer a little longer mono topshot to absorb some of the shock that you'd get when fishing spectra.

For single-speed star-drag reels, Megan and I both like the Daiwa Saltist or Saltiga 40 a lot. Penn's Baja special is also worth a look (plenty of drag, great freespool, and 4:1 gear ratio). Any of these reels loaded the same way like the Avet and Accurate previously mentioned would be perfect.

I like Avet's HX in either single or 2 speed (preferably 2 speed) for fishing 50# almost exclusively, bumping up to 60# when applicable.

As far as rods, you could go with a 7' or scale down to a 6' or even 6 1/2". Agate's choice of a 6470 would be a god choice, as would a regular Calstar West Coast (WC) 670 or 610. In the Grafighter, check out a 700MH or 700H (both 7'). My personal choice and probably my favorite is a Grafighter 765 XL (for 40#) or 765 L (for 50#). both of those rods are 6 1/2".

Anyway, this is just a sample of your options Smiler. Do yourself a favor and come back into the shop or if you get a chance, see us at the Del Mar Fred Hall show this coming week (Thursday through Sunday).

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike thats alot of help. Im definately planning on seeing you guys at the fred Hall show next weekend. Are there better deals to be had at the show verses waiting a bit and buying directly from the store?

Captain
posted Hide Post
Nijolo - there are always deals to be had at the show. However, we also have great deals here at the shop. You can check the website's weekly specials - many of those are going to be featured at the show in Del Mar next week. A lot of what we will be doing at the show we can't do in the store...but, I'm sworn to secrecy at this point as to exactly what kinds of specials/deals we're going to have afterwards Smiler.

Either way, the show is always worth it, even if you don't buy anything. It's an educational experience and also a great way to spend $9 on a beer...

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey:
Nijolo -

Either way, the show is always worth it, even if you don't buy anything. It's an educational experience and also a great way to spend $9 on a beer...

The beers are now $10.00.
And yes,,,,, I bought one.
I felt abused but it sure
did taste good.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
nijolo,

For most local offshore trips under 3 days in length 20 to 30lb test will be used most often. If you pick up gear to fish 40 to 50lb it will be over kill, heavier to hold all day and will reduce your chances at getting a bite with that range of pound test line unless it is going off wide open. If it were me looking for one set up to fish tuna and tails locally I would look for something in the 30bl range and I if needed to go lighter in line all you have to do is add some ligter flourocarbon on top of the 30lb and set your drags a bit lighter.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 1-3 days trip is more like 20-30 line, per the usual. 4-5 day then those plus a 40-50 line set-up. How far , long, are you going?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Im looking to do a five day trip this fall and need to start planning now because I will have to purchase gear for the trip. The longest trip ive had in the past has been overnighters. i do have some 20-30lb set ups (although they are older ones).

Captain
posted Hide Post
What could be sweeter then a Avet LX Raptor 2-speed for a 50lb set-up!

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
For up to a 6 day trip, an Avet JX 6/3 coupled to a United Composite 70HP is a real delight. Other GREAT rods for this 40# rig would be a Calstar Grafighter 700M, possibly an MH if 50 is where you see yourself fishing. I'd go for a 40# outfit, dedicated 40, and then consider a 6 and 1/2 footer for a dedicated 50. For that, and LX or HX will do you well on a Grafighter 765L.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
IMO two choices to consider...

Avet LX two speed with 65 # spectra and a
SHS 70H 7' 40-80 2-16 oz $328.93
Or a HX two speed with 80# spectra and 50 # top shot
SHS 60XH 6' 50-100 4-20 oz $319.93

reason being the hot stick " all day all the time" on the RP last September trip used as this ste up and just used two rigs the whole trip Tuna on the HX and yellow tail on the LX.

You rely can't go wrong with many other potions just buy two speed reels set them up with spectra and work out you top shots as needed and match the rod to the line class and species sought. It is simple and welcome back to the rail

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
SD,

I was wondering why you would go with a LX over the JX when your looking to spectra back the reel? The LX gets around 660 yards of 65lb spectra and the JX gets around 100 yards less of the same 65lb. I mean 560 yards is a whole lot of line plus a more narrow reel like the JX is IMO easier to work with in some applications.