CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    8 day tackle advice??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 day tackle advice??
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Newbie here to the charkboards. I have been lurking for sometime here and am always drooling Eeker in the tackle shop. Well I am gearing up for my 1st 8-day trip next year on the Indy (Trip #7 June 2008 seeker open). I have been on a few 3-5 day trips they were not long enough so decided on a longer trip.
So I am asking for some advise from the veterans here on if I am making the right choices in terms of gear. Trying to organize all my stuff and after reading all the various postings on several websites to include this one it looks like the main go to gear is the #30 and #40 rigs on the early summer long range trips.

1- 25# newell 229-5
2- 30# Torium 16 (50 Spectra 30# mono)
3- 30# Saltist 30 (50 Spectra 30# mono)
4- 40# Avet JX 6/4 (65 spectra 40# mono)
5- 40# Torium 30 (65 spectra 40# mono)
6- 50# Progear 454 (80 spectra 50# mono)

I still do not have any rigs for 60-80# I am leaning towards the Avet 30/2. Any recommendations? and for the 100# rig I think I am going to rent from the boat. It would be nice to have it but just dont have the funds to drop on it at this time.

Any comments/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

B1

Posts: 3 | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, have a great trip.

On my only 10-day thus far (last year) I had only four rigs, and bagged fish right and left.

My most productive reel was the Avet 30-2.

But, I am a newbie...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
welcome aboard, as for the collection you have , it looks great, dont know what kinda rods you puttin them on, but obviuosly you have done multidays trip before.

under consideration, you might wanna set up a 100/80 also.

running into a larger class tunas in early summer, and its known to happen, a 2 speeder will put you in to a better advantage.

p/s pack some irons.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Your combos 1 thru 6 are all great, and will see a lot of use on most any 8-10 day trip.
Depending on conditions, your 30 and 40-pound rigs will see the most use on a June 8-day.
Might want to consider another 50-pound combo so that you can have a "dedicated" jigging outfit for both yo-yo iron and wahoo bombs.
It's possible but inconvenient to keep switching back and forth with just one 50-pound rig.
Of course I would suggest a Penn Torque TRQ300, in particular for wahoo bombs.
Wahoo numbers will be low during June, so this could certainly wait, you could just put some yo-yo iron on your current 50-pound outfit and forget the bait with 50.
A 60-pound rig will primarily target 75 to 150-pound bluefin/yellowfin/bigeye tuna, and a Penn International 16VSX has the excellent freespool to help you get baits out on the long soak.
The 16VSX holds 500 yards of 80 spectra plus 50-100 yards of 60 mono.
Your 80-pound rig will be used for both dropper loop fishing for bigger yellowtail and grouper, along with being your bait outfit for that next grade up on tuna, the 125 to 200-pounders.
A Penn 30VSX with 80 mono over 100-pound spectra does this very well.
You are correct, for now go ahead and use the boat's 100-pound rig for kite fishing or "just in case" you find those really big 150 to 300-pound tuna, although the chances are not high during a June trip.
In short, for your upcoming June 8-day you really only need a 60 and an 80-pound rig, the rest can wait until you schedule more/longer trips.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The Indy will let you use a rig if they feel you are undergunned at any point should the need arise.
I just see soooo many people buying big gear (mefersure) where the money could be better spent on more or longer trips.
This stuff gets addicting, having the big/new gear. But then you realize that other than that once maybe twice a year trip everything you use is 20-50 lb. gear
I was goofing off 2 nights ago, and threw a dine out on my 665w 2speed, 80 WF hollow,40' 80 topshot. I decided after a 5 minute soak to pull it in and it stopped. I said What? kicked it in low and up comes a 6'Mako ? I just thought it was a fat Albie. Cut it loose after someone took a picture, but you would be really amazed at what you can do with a upper midrange 2spd. reel.
Maybe Makos are just big weenies, but 3 steel sharkrigs and 3 gaffs got broke in the next 2 hours.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Planet, Louie, mnrd and steve thanks so much for the solid advice you guys are the main reason why i decided to post my question here rather than one of those other sites.
As per the advise I am definitely going to adding a 60-80lb rig and will look at the penns (thanks steve) i just have to decide what kind of blank to wrap to match said reel.
A quick question.........Do you fellas think that the Progear 454 can handle 50# top shot I received the reel as a gift and also know that the company went tits up so cant find a whole lot of info on the ratings of the reel. I want to try it out on my next trip out of san diego next month.

cheers, b1

Captain
posted Hide Post
If your looking in the 60 range theres a AvetHX in the classifieds sction.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
here ya go, cant go wrong.

80/50 or 80/60 , you.,ll get more mono on 50.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
great casting distance, also superior drags.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
slight heavyer than average, but cant tell a differance , when a big fish is on .

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
The PG 454 can handle 50#. It's all metal with 4/0 drags and 4:1 gears. You might want to replace the stock drag washers with HT-100's or Smoothie Carbontex.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Once again I cant appreciate enuff all the input. I was going to try to get out this weekend but unfortunately charter on the cortez out of seaforth was cancelled. So looks like I am gonna be breaking downn the pg 454 to lube and replace the drags with some smoothies. Thanks again, B1

Captain
posted Hide Post
Make sure and use the Carbontex and not Smoothies or Supersmoothies. Or just use the Penn HT-100's for a 113H. Both HT-100's and Carbontex are a carbon fiber.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
IMO..
Have fun
get 2 speed reels
lots of hooks
learn your knots
flurocarbon rocks
ask lots of questions
read bunches
look at videos
oh...make friends with the crew asap once on board and tel them yo need help setting up
buy a spring scale to set your drags

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, need some advice.
Might as well use this forum to get advice:
Ok don't laugh, but for better or worse I have access to the following companies (work related)and I can get things pretty cheap: Penn, Shakespeare, Berkley, Spider wire, Fenwick, abu, stren, and maybe daiwa (more work).
My inventory is as follows:
1. #20 Penn 525 Mag as for finicky fish and casting, rod?
2. #20 Quantum CLW20 PT, lever wind (not a bad reel, made in japan) rod?
3. #30 Penn TRQ200, for gigging/bait, will get a penn gigging rod for this, will put
probably 250yrd/50 braid and 100/40# mono
4. #40 Okuma TG20S (great reel, light too), heavy gigging/casting? rod? line?

Now was thinking about Penn TRQ300 for #40/#50, Penn 16vsx, or Penn 30vsx, I can probably
afford 1 of these or max 2, leaning toward 16VSX since Okuma will cross TRQ300!

Due to the expense it will probably take me months to make a complete collection, but
would greatly appreciate your advice and help!

Need recommendation on reels for the next purchase and rods and line class would help.
Sorry cannot afford at retail other brands, eventough I know there is better out there!

Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 19 | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post