CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Understanding rod action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Understanding rod action
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
Thanks for all the info lately on rods, its been really helpful. Need your help again as I am trying to understand what is meant by a rods action being "fast", "medium", or "slow". Is this the way the rod should be fished or is it the way a rod re-acts? Also when does someone want a fast verses a medium or slow rod? Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
That refers to the rod's action. Fast verses parabolic, fast meaning that the tip is a bit lighter, and then the rod "shuts" off - usually 1/4 down from the tip. A "slow" or more parabolic bend means the rod bends throughout the blank more consistently, all the way down the blanks length. Both styles of rod have their application, one is not better than the other, both have reason to be in a guys arsenal.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark that clears things up. I really apprecieate the charkboards, its a great place for a novice like me to get good solid info.
Nick

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
My rods haven't seen any action for months, I hope that they still work. Does a fishing rod's action ever change? Well I mean does the materials get stiffer or softer or does age , use or in my case Un-Use affect or change the rods actions? I know line, mono gets messed up with age, reels need oiled and greased, but rods never change? Probably get softer with age? I wouldn't know myself of course, but does anyone have any theories, experience?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
A rods action is not changed by age. There are some things that will degrade a rod. Salt , sun , petrol, and mold. Make sure you wash rods with soap and water dry the rods thoroughly and store in a rod sock. Check the wrappings and touch up any threads that have come lose with a good resin. With good care they will outlive most owners. I have some that are over 40 and are almost like new.

Posts: 35 | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I've been told that a fiberglass rod will change in action somewhat, becoming a little softer in action over many years time. The old Trulines, older original Sabre rods become a little different after 20 or so years. This is not a bad thing, but it's a consideration. With my own rods, I can't really tell a difference. But, the change is something mentioned to me by others that know much more than I. Our shipping manager Tom, who is a bit of a collector, can offer more info if you want to give us a call - ask for Tom.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post