CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    RHETORICAL COMPARISON
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RHETORICAL COMPARISON
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
How would a Saltist 50 stack up against a Baja Special under identical conditions?

Tommy

Posts: 57 | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Not an easy call, don't own both to compare but my meager opinion would be that the Daiwa might be a better caster and the Penn a more robust and heavier drag capable reel (that's not taking anything away from the Daiwa - but the Penn benefits from the Versa-Drag).

GS<
MS

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of bladeduffer
posted Hide Post
I guess for the best of both worlds go with Daiwa's Saltiga SA50. I own a couple of SA30Ls and am amazed at the ultra smooth wet drags they have how overbuilt and strong these beautifully machined reels are. They aren't cheap but they'll last you a lifetime.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Fishslayer
posted Hide Post
Apples & oranges.

The HN takes the old "Yellowtail Special" idea a step further but it's still a tall narrow reel designed for ripping a yoyo iron. It gets it's speed primarily from the tall spool. It's width makes for easier line leveling.

The Saltist 50 would be better suited to bait.

Looks like yer gonna need both! Big Grin

Fishslayer

Posts: 63 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
money talks and they don't grow on trees !!! I would rather have a penn and then you can abuse the heck out of it and when it comes to the DIAWA, you wonder why don't I get a 20 or 40 instead ?

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
"I guess for the best of both worlds go with Daiwa's Saltiga SA50"
Trouble is, you can have both for the price of a Saltiga.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Though, if that were the case , then the ultimate solution would be to get all 3, then there would always be every pro/con situation resolved. So, buy all 3 that's my final answer !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Consultant
Captain
posted Hide Post
the baja special has a disengaging spool to give you the best possible freespool. it is a design that is also seen in the ggraphie daiwa sealines and grandwaves. the baja special also has a spring loaded double dog anti-reverse system. i consider this to be much more reliable that the roller bearing and ambassaduer-style dog found in the saltist. the baja gears are larger, it generates more reliable drag and it should freespool better.

get the penn.

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
After living with one (Borrowed) for two days, I agree-get the Penn while you still can!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post