The CharkBoards!
Light Topshot knots

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/1311046863

12 October 2007, 09:29 PM
Bass_Head
Light Topshot knots
I am fishing spectra (30-50lb) on a baitcasting reel and I would like to know what your suggestions are for tying a short fluorocarbon top shot of 17-25lbs.

thank you
max
13 October 2007, 09:08 AM
mnrd55
I use a Yucatan knot, easy,strong and slides well thru guides. Works great up to 60# or so.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."
13 October 2007, 08:52 PM
Agate D
I don't know that knot. Does anyone have a picture or tying sequence?
14 October 2007, 09:13 AM
Keta
Double uni works for me. Isn't the Yucatan knot also called a worm knot?

Yucatan Knot

Double Uni

Life's Tough, Then You Die

14 October 2007, 03:44 PM
Agate D
thanks, Keta. I like the double uni, too
14 October 2007, 08:33 PM
Walt
YUCATAN KNOT INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_yucatan.html
22 October 2007, 09:52 AM
RLM
I'll give you my personal opinion on this. For me, more important that the knot itself is to know the propper way of making it fast, easy and reliable.

Chose a connection knot that you feel confortable with and then tie it again and again and again till you feel absolutly sure of it, till you can make it under any circumstances well and even with very few light.

Be sure to dominate it, and use a know taht is easty for you. Many knots work well so you should have no problem.

Other thing I'll tell you, I don't use large top shots with spectra and I use equal or heavie mono top shot line that the GSP line, for 30 pound GSP I'll use 30, 40 or 50 pound mono, never less that the resitance of the GSP. I'll always use a Biminni on the GSP to make a duble linea before making a connection know with GSP line and I try to keep things as simple as possible.

But then again, that's my personal approach, try your's.

Best regards
22 October 2007, 09:29 PM
Spork
Yucatan is the same as the worm/reverse albright.
23 October 2007, 07:05 AM
Keta
Thanks Spork, they looked the same and it's a good knot.

28 October 2007, 10:56 PM
JanZ
Lefty I fished 50-65# Power Pro and had 50' of 30# mono and had a Uni to Uni (6 turns on the mono and 8 on the spectra) and it held up all salmon season.
Needless to say I favor the uni/uni knot. Smiler

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time
31 October 2007, 07:18 AM
Keta
Jan,
Do you fish shorter topshots for halibut? My butt setup is 65lb Power Pro or Toughline W/10' of 50lb mono for a topshot. Almost no stretch even when fishing 600'+ and the mono breaks before the Spectra so I'm not leaving prop seal eaters floating around the ocean.

07 November 2007, 06:32 PM
crown victoria
the man on the beach knot, (Brandon heywood. WON ) THE RODDY HAYES KNOT. tie overhand knot with spectra on to mono. (Leave about 15 inches tail of spectra. Tie up a n improved clinch not , worm wrap away from overhand knot around the mono toward the hook end (away from reel) make 15 wraps give or take a few, then wrap back down intertwine wraps evenly, pull through the first loose wrap. cinch down. blame heywood when it fails, it's not his invention either !!