CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Use of Spectra for tossong Iron?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Spectra for tossong Iron?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I recently purchased a Daiwa Saltist 30H and paired it with an 8' Graftech Jigstick. Nice set-up for 'cudas. Love the reel (good reccomendation Chark), smooth feel and casts like a rocket. A few casts went a little long and I ended up losing a couple of my favorite Tadys, not to mention a hundred or so yard of mono.

Anyway, line capacity on this little reel is at a premium, so I was considering spooling up with spectra. Any thoughts on using spectra for tossing iron? I've never tried the stuff.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I can get expensive if you screw up.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Would not reccomend using stright spectra for casting irons. I have two posts in the thread below , you may find the second post of interest.

http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/7091024204

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
There are more resons to stick to the norm, (MONO) than to use the more expensive spectra. (It's going to be more expensive inch per inch and unless you don't ever loose line, you will be looking like an imbecile using spectra on IRON JIGS. Put a topshot of mono, that is longer than you can cast (and then some, for cot-off & retie etc.) Go with the NORM or better yet, ask the captain or at the tackle shop if going with Iron tied dirctly to spectra will help. YO -YO or bottom fishing is not throwing the IRON. I do use only a four foot floro kelp cutter style rig for this but I never expect to throw the Iron with spectr only. I only need one tangle and then I'll never do that AGAIN !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend that a softer action rod, Lots of sensitivity be used with a KELP cutte rig because there really is no stretch and the softer action helps "ENHANCE the absolute sensitivity of the spectra" feel. The flouro is to hide the line (invisible flouro?) and to tie a reliable knot with. I use a small ring tied to a cats pawwed bimmini at the end of the spectra and then tie the flouro to the ring, I have JACKPOTTED many LING CODS and A HALIBUT so far with this set-up so lets say that is the most use of IRON? SPECTRA that actualy is "BETTER" than ALL MONO under these fishing application, so try it for DROPPING JIGS, I reccomend it, just don't take all the fish and rip open your sack, that is too full. That doesn't help know-how !!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input fellas. Seems like the way to go would be 100 yards or so of mono topshot

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post