CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Can an Accurate be magged?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can an Accurate be magged?
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
Anyone know if an Accurate can be magged? I have a 270 that was built before the cast control came out. I know Avets can be. Any help would be great!

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Have never attempted to mag an Accurate because of the Twin Drag construction. But after looking at the Schematic of the reel it may be possible. The critical issue is if Part# 38 Spool Cover is made of metal and is it attached to the spool so it rotates, if so it can be magged. If however it is nylon or any other non-metallic material or it does not rotate with the spool it cannot be magged.

Pull up the attached PDF file below:

http://www.accuratefishing.com//pdfs/BOSS-270-IPB.pdf

This is the mechanical breakdown of a 270 off the Accurate Web Site. Check it out to see what part I am referring to.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Not a lot of room between the spool/housing for magnets maybe .200 ? as I recall.
Avets work well for magging because they have .300-400 clearance between spool/hsng.

Ps. Accurates are Aluminum
(60-70 series billet?) with stainless as required. If it will conduct electricity you can mag it,if theres room

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Good info mnrd55, Man that is tight. (.200) I just put a mic on the smaller Magnets I use and they are .250 , way too thick.

MrTuna, You can slow the reel down by washing the bearings out with brake cleaner in a spray can called BRAKLEEN. Can be purchased at any auto store. Set the bearings on a clean paper towel over night to dry. If you use an air hose DO NOT spin the bearings with the air as that will score the races with the lubrication washed out. Then put one drop and 1 drop only of a thicker bearing oil in each bearing. If the bearings have metal sheilds on them , don't worry the oil will soak throught the clearences on the metal sheild. You will probably have to call a reel shop like Cal's to get the right oil. you will call some reel shops and they will not know what you are talking about. Get a couple of viscosities in progressively heavier weights. The increased viscosity will increase resistance in the bearings dampening the free spool and help control the over run.

Walt

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I think you guys really know reels. I have just gotten competent taking them apart and cleaning myself. I am seriously considering an Avet LX 2 speed this year. Can that be magged like your MX Walt?

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Yes, check this link out. Today I would use the magnet configuation in the three picure display with the multiple magnets.

http://www.charkbait.com/article/2004/Walt_Galen.htm

Walt

Captain
posted Hide Post
I just measured my magnets (plenty laying around) they are .066x.377 or so.
I just took my dremel and ground a little of the anodizing off the inside of the case and used a 2 part epoxy to adhere them directly.
Stack as neccasary, 3 fit fine making a stack about .210 tall.
They are readily available at most swap meets out here in SoCal (Pomona for one) although my local supplier stocks them also.
I'll look at my 870 tonight, might be a project this eve.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I cracked my 270 open and their looks to be room. I found some magnets with .250" diameter and .063" thick. I will have to see if it will fit in a cup or on a washer but even if not it will still work.
Man I just found a new hobby.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
This will allow a longer (contolled) cast? Or just prevent an overrun (Bird nest?). I don't cast out as far as I like now with a j/x and would magging this reel make it go further, I only get an overrun when I try to land my jig into another zip code but can cast 40yards all day and hit a duck in the head accidently on purpose, just when I try to go 75yards I get a "reel mess". So I think that magging won't be for me, or well I don't know havent tried it actually.

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I just returned from an 8 day and had plenty of time to play with my magged JX and SX 2 speeds. With 2 stacks of 2 magnets as described in an earlier posting, none of us could make the sx birdnest, and we were drunk as cooter brown.
On the JX/100J which has 3 stacks of 2, I came to the realazation that watching the spool and not watching the jig worked better.
And my unmagged 870 2 speed 850H combo works just fine the way it is.

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
MNRD55,
One note of caution: Using the epoxy to attach the magnets "MAY" cause a problem. The epoxy I used is vary strong and ridged. The coefficient of expansion between the Aluminum Reel and the Magnet is different, the aluminum expanding much more then the magnet. This thermal flexing
between the two dissiamalar metals weakens the bond and eventually the magnet separate from the reel case. This happened to me after about a year of service. I now attach the magnets with a Silicone Adhesive, this adhesive has some flex to it and have not had any further problems.

I said "MAY" cause a problem, the type of epoxy you used could be more flexable after curing. This is just a note of caution, if your spool starts to bind up for no apparent reason do not try and force it. You will know the magnet have come loose.

Crown Victoria: Magging does little to help over run with light baits like plastics but Magging excels at throwing the iron. You will not be able to put enough power behind a cast with an iron to cause a backlash. You will be able to power cast with your eyes shut. This is not an exageration. Just go to the link in my 3rd post above and ....."GO FOR IT".

Walt

Captain
posted Hide Post
Expansion characteristics aside, that seems to be a little close on tolerances for my taste.
On the other hand I had more problems using silicon type adhesives as they tended to fail.
I concur though on magging effectivness relating to weight, 6 people could not ratnest a sx throwing a sabiki & 6 oz. sinker using a 7' rod.

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I am holding off on Magging my Accurate. I am buying a new spool which has been lightened since I bought mine and replacing the drag washers and bearings. After at least five years of catching loads of Salmon, halibut, lingcod in No. Cal and trolling with a 2lb ball with it the reel looks brand new when opened.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I have been using double stick tape(for automotive trim) to stick magnets. It's been working great and hasn't had a failure. (yet)

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post