The CharkBoards!
Bait tank ettiquette

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/4631077843

13 August 2007, 03:38 PM
mnrd55
Bait tank ettiquette
I was taught to approach the tank with my rod held in my right hand about elbow level, with my hook held between my Rt. thumb and index finger.
1 Spot good bait dip in net, when he/she swims by scoop him up.
2 remove from net with left hand and pin him.
3 walk to rail, drop in water.
4 let him catch his breath as it were 3-5 seconds or so.
5. pick him up and wing him out.
6. If he doesn;t run after 5-10 seconds reel him in and repeat 1-5

But thats just me, and i,m here to learn. Would like to here what techniques you more experianced folks use.
I was taught this way cause you would always have 1 hand free for the boat,and that would cut any potential problems in half.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."
13 August 2007, 03:48 PM
DODOMAN
we,ll mike i was taught differently

1 open up tackle bag

2 pull out shiney jig

3 tye shiney jig to main line

4 walk up to bow

5 cast out shiney jig

6 HOOK UPPP, NEED A GAFF

7 LOL, JUST MESSING WITH YAH.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!
13 August 2007, 04:01 PM
mnrd55
JEEZ Louie, I walked right into that didn't I ?
Good one though,

MMM

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."
14 August 2007, 07:39 AM
Planet
I was taught the same as regards live bait tank behavior. There was no attention paid to maintenance of order in the initial steps of establishing a tuna shuffle, however.

The way it worked on my boat was as follows... After a dry spell, the first time someone hooked a fresh one, night of the living dead broke out. Guys would stop their conversations on a dime, run into 10 other guys on their way to their rods, grab a rod, bump into 10 guys on the way to the tank, then attack the bait like a pack of dehydrated vampires. Once they hooked a bait (hands often shaking), it was tunnel vision casting (if you can call it casting). One time I actually got hooked in my bad eye (was going to have eyeball operations to restore vision in it after I returned--eye already had three holes, doc was surprised when I came back with 4 holes). I decided that I'd use Louie's approach after that. As soon as a fresh one was hooked after a dry spell, I'd head to the bow with a jig. Four hoo, two YFT, an no additional eyeball holes later, well... I'm a believer...

After the guys catch nothing for awhile, they calm down, and a proper tuna shuffle ensues.

Another IMO underemphasized etiquette factor is how some are reluctant to assist guys with fish on to go over or under their line, which resulted in many tangles, line slices, and lost fish (usually during a hot bite). A related issue is failure of others to pay attention when someone fishing the slide connects and has to rip down the boat to try to get control of their line--this failure led to as many lost hoo as did spit hooks. Finally, there are newbies who confuse football YFT with hoo, and come ripping down the boat running over everything (rods, equipment, people) in their blind ambition to catch the hoo.

Best to keep one's good eyeball open! :-)
14 August 2007, 07:54 AM
mnrd55
I guess it has alot to do with the Captain/Chartermaster also.
Some give a seminar worthy of recording and many others just think everyone knows the drill.
Just got off 1 trip with a bunch of FISHINGCLUB ? members and they had no clue. Heard the captain yell for 2 days WORK TOGETHER!threatening to sit everyone in the galley and run them thru the drill.
Got off one last week, mostly newbies to whom the chartermaster said this is how were going to do it,and they did it.
Best damn bunch I have fished with in 3 months.
I guess its like everthing else, if you were taught right in the begining you'll do fine.
Although the iron solution is always there.

14 August 2007, 09:09 AM
DODOMAN
bait fishing is alright, i must do what i have to do,that is gathered up on corners with 20 others maintaining tangles by following your line,
finally got your bait away ,far way, the stern shifts with current , so follow the lines , everyone scrabling into postion again, from one corner to another, them some idiot overcast over everones line, nice one.

mistakes do happen and i,ll admit ive done it many times, lol.

iron throwing takes up alot of energy, but your solo, you can control the iron if your good , im not the best but still put in my hours of throwing irons, lol you can have more advantage with the iron how so ? well with a gruop on a corner ( flylining ) you can sqeeze your self in and just drop the iron, its go,s down with the current , away from the baits, so the iron thrower can help to bring the school up to surface if you know what our doing.

now it does not mean the stren is all yours , you must respect the bait fishermen , and keep contact with your iron at all times, some boats dont allow throwing irons in rear of boats, if that is the matter, the bow is your home.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!
14 August 2007, 09:32 AM
Planet
Louie, I'm right there with ya on the jigging. I found that when a bite is on, all I have to do to connect is cast the jig out, and keep aware of the tension on the line as the jigs falls. I'd guess (will collect data this next trip) that I hook up as often on the fall as I do after I start to work the jig. If I miss the connect, I'll often get a second hit as the jig begins to fall again.

ONE of the most seasoned long-rangers on the trip was truly selfish. The guy always took the stern corner pointed with the current! He dropped bait before the cap'n said it was OK! However, he did make room for upper/under by others with fish on (to protect his own line from a tangle or slice, I'd venture). When the cap'n saw a giant signal on the sonar, he'd stop. As Walt recently said, it's important to get the bait in first sometimes. This dude got the giant grouper that we stopped for--dropped his bait before the cap'n said OK. So, this year I am bringing a collection of large, heavy bucktail and tora jigs (and attractant) that will plummet like a torpedo to the bottom.

Finally, there is tactical fishing (for lack of a better word). During a wide-open YT bite at the ridge, there was sustained chaos. So, I'd wait on the port side of the tank, by the rail, out of the way, rig in hand. I'd watch the action on the starboard side. As soon as at least three guys got into a horrible tangle (happened every few minutes), I'd rush to the tank, bait two hooks (experimental rig--to be tested again this year, then I will write a report), and rush to the rail. Did that 15 times, landed 16 YT.

It would be best if everyone cared about everyone, if all followed the rules... But, these are humans...
14 August 2007, 06:08 PM
Iggy
I gave up on bait fishing. Its just not my style. Too much waiting. Gotta keep my hands busy. Also I can't get the pump to work on my bait tank and i'm strapped for cash.

The only thing that sux is that i lose over 20 bucks of jigs everytime i go out. I'm thinking of just staying with the Krocadiles as they seem to work best for me. Swimbaits are good too.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft
14 August 2007, 06:39 PM
Planet
Are your jigs getting hung on structure? I've seen devices (look like a spring) advertised that attach to a line, slide down it, and dislodge stuck hooks. Have you tried such a device, Iggy, or have you seen them? I've never seen one used, no idea if they work, or under what conditions they work. IIRC, they were about the price of a jig.

Also, I found some ocean jigs that are weedless: they have bristles that cover the hook. Look like BIG largemouth bass jigs. If you are targeting bass, I wonder if that type of jig would work. Have you tried the weedless jigs?
15 August 2007, 09:50 AM
Iggy
Its not the structure that gets me. Its when I swing the rod too hard and snap the line. Or just a bad tie. Or i tie the line too hard and stretch the line thus weakening it.

Or come to think of it. I think it may be the spectra I'm using on my reel. It seems that the knots on braid is weak. Has anyone had issues with tie strengths on braid or is it just me?

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft
15 August 2007, 09:57 AM
DODOMAN
if you cast hard and the line snaps, 2 things the line is to old or the line is very weak.

you should not have problems with spectra, unless its really frayed to thin.

what set up are you useing( tackle ).

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!
15 August 2007, 10:20 AM
Planet
Awaiting the answer to Louie's question, but thought I'd mention that, in another thread, SDTuna gave a link to a great article (I agree with Mike, it *is* a keeper) that talks about the strengths and weaknesses of spectra. It also suggests some knots for spectra that avoid harming the fibers that weaken the line. Maybe some of these specialized knots will help.

As is Louie, I am curious what the set-up is:

What is the rod and reel, and what is the line test?

What is the terminal connection on the line--do you tie straight to the jig, or do you use a thimble, snap swivel, swivel, spring protector, or other such abrasion-prevention device?

What type of jig(s)? More specifically, what is the tie-to end of the jig like: a welded ring (e.g., catchy or salas jigs), split ring, or simply a hole in the body of the jig?

How far from the rod tip is the jig as you begin your cast? Do you swing and fire, or do you take a stroke or two to get your timing down?
15 August 2007, 10:20 AM
Planet
Rats! I meant to paste SDTuna's link:

http://www.pcsportfishing.com/Spectra-406web.pdf
16 August 2007, 12:50 PM
DODOMAN
that would be my guss to, im assuming iggy might have a light set up with a heavy jig, orrrrrrr, one of his guides might have a fine crack or small chunk missing on the inside of the insert.

i had purchased some 100.00 guides for my custom wrap one time , ( big mistake )

those insert was so brittle , that if i hit the tip on somthing hard , they would nearly shatter,. nice for a 100.00 guides.
i have two rods that are built the same but different blanks, one is a 40 and the other is a 60...

sadly to say my rodwrapper warned me about these high end guides , sh*t should of listened.

there are the new ( when first came out ) titanium frame with the blue inserts, shuck forgot who made um.

they look so sweet with the blue custom wrap , ive only used the rod twice, the first time the tip ( insert ) popped out on a big yellowtail, the second time i accidentaly hit the tip on the door and did not relized of the crack until i had my first cast out and the tip had a cotton ball build on it. lol it was shreading my line.

i ahve 2 new blanks being wrapped right now , one is a 10 ftr, 10 -20
the other is a ultra trout rod.

surly i wont be using them guides anymore.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!
16 August 2007, 01:33 PM
Planet
That's my thinking too. Or, possibly, he is tying directly to a hole bored into the jig body, and the edges of the hole need to be beveled (or, better, a SS thimble or anti-chaffing spring should be used, perhaps with a loop knot).

But, if I had to wager, I'd bet on Walt's analysis implicating a transient backlash (happens to me on hard casts, sometimes twice in the same cast--beginning and about half-way through, when a deft thumb brake is needed), associated fiber knicks, and snapo!

Sad about the fragile high-end guides. Is it a real PITA to strip the blanks and reconstruct the rods with more durable guides?

Your latest two rods sound very interesting! I am taking two similar rods on the next 10-day! One is a carbon St. Croix surfcasting rod, 10', 2-piece, rated 8-20. The other is a carbon/boron Loomis steelhead rod, 10.5', 2-piece, rated 10-20. Going to use a small Penn spinner and small Garcia casting reel with the Loomis (each reel loaded with 250 yd, 12# Berkley Transition Red Vanish--a high-end fluoro)--this rig is for dodo, skippys, and bonita. Going to use a FinNor offshore spinner with 500 yds Momoi 12# high-vis yellow, and a fluro top shot, with the St. Croix--this is for tuna and yellows. Gonna have some fun at night!

What are your's for, Dodoman?