New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bait tank ettiquette
 Login/Join

Captain
posted Hide Post
its on a small baitcaster with 30 pound braid. 7 foot rod with a stiff tip really stiff. Its light tackle. I chose braid beacuse of the amount of line I can put on that tiny spool.

On the other reel that snaps alot I have 20 pound mono that is in good shape. Just replaced it a few months ago. I always take about 10 feet off on every trip.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
the rods im having made are in the fresh water gatagories, dont know the name of the blank on the 10 fter, friend says its new in the market and had not been released yet, it has the same chemical mix as calstar.

im setting that one up for longcasting ( swimbait ) striperfishing, i live close by to a few good lakes that has great striper population.

this rod as said before rated around (15 lb )
i,ll have the new akuma low pro series , it comes in blue color to match the rod, shoot some straight 15 pline in green or blue , have about 8 different swim bait just for the stripers.
the other rod ( ultra trout ) is made by rainbow shadows ( i think ), no big talk about it , its just a rod w/ no fancy cosmetics.

laugh out loud , here we are talking fresh water in the middle of a no wide open albiecore bite, fishing the ocean this year is a slow for me right now.

did i tell you that i moved my 10 dayer for a later trip.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
sorry (im getting the new akuma) .

sorry iggy we have not forgotten about you or mike.

the conversation took us elsewere.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Dodoman, I never caught (or fished) for striper yet, but hopefully someday! Maybe the big, bad salty types out east!

I gave-up on fresh water fishing--just not worth the expense, time and hassle to me anymore. First, almost NONE of the bigger fish here are edible, except under strict EPA guidelines (e.g., one may eat up to x ounces per month unless one is pregnant--then stay away). Second, to fish in the local holes (all but two of which are in Wisconsin or Michigan) I'd have to pay about $150 to get the licenses and salmon stamps. Then, there is a minimum 3-hour drive, and--because there is no spawn run now, most likely the water is devoid of anything larger than a pound (yellow perch).

Iggy, did Walt's thread on spectra, and/or Dodoman's or my comments in this thread, give you ideas about how to stop the snapo phenomenon you've experienced with spectra?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
I love to watch the bait tank shuffle. Once the pandemonium breaks out, I bail out. Once the psycho mess has all got their baits out, moved to the 1 corner of the stern the boat drifted to. Nope, only then, do I grab a bait, once the boat has begun the new swing. That way my bait is the first out, with the current in the swing.
I never jump into the fray. If it's a really wide open bite, I grab my jig stick and head for the bow. I much prefer a jig bite.

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
hay whats up pigsticker, planet that would put me in the ( your so lucky louie ) catagory, im blessed to be only 30 to an hour drive from one of our popular lakes here in california.
MY 3 FAVORITE LAKES are diamond valley, skinner, and silverwood up in the mountain region, further west we have castiac, casitas, the duct, etc, etc, etc, most or all these lakes are connected through the colorado feed.
suprisingly to say you have the great lakes with different species than here ( california )

never caught a pike, or salmon .

when i was up north , i do notice all of the fishermen like to use noodle rods.
that is a fun and great way to fish.
next year if everything goes great , i will retire from the sandy eggo fleet for a year and try my way up north to alaska.

nothing like being chased by a grizzly from his favorite fishing hole .lol
i hear kodiak is rough, and so are the people.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
I am happy that you are, as you say, lucky, Louie! IIRC it was Coach Lombardy who said "the good player is always lucky". It was a series of stupid decisions that left me in my mess. I followed my heart, treated my future with complete abandon, played by my rules, and realized way too late that I was a flipping MORON! I have one life, and here I am, trapped--by my own consciousness (the sickest part of this whole mess)--in one of the most depressing crap holes I've ever experienced. I truly look forward to leaving this ugly state for ever.

If you are in AK the same time I am there to fly my atmosphere-shreding bat-out-of-hell, I hope you can make the show. I wanna see the Northern Lights, and fish for halibut. Time to live a little before I croak, if that is in the Lord's plans...

PS: Sorry to hear your 10-day is moved forward, I was hoping to toss ya a cold one: boat-to-boat refuling is always fun! :-)

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
we,ll planet the beer will always stay cold, and many beers ahead .lol

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the perspective, Dodoman. Gives me something else to look forward to doing...

Optimal wishes, my friend...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
ever heard about the jogger out in alakas that was maulled by a grizzly, a customer of mines showed me the pictures.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Nothing specific, Dodoman. Personally, I'd carry a weapon anywhere in the Alaskan wilderness--probably an upper/under. My youngest brother is a geologist, and when he was a grad student he mapped for USGS in AK. One of his friends/classmates was killed by a bear in AK, during a mapping. After that, all the USGS mappers carried an upper/under: buckshot first (blind them), then the magnum slug. No room for error, and I ain't gonna end up bear poop without a fight!

People may be tough (never been there, don't know), but the place sounds old-fashioned nice in some ways. For example, I've been told that if someone in a vehicle comes across another stranded person, they *must* render assistance under the law. Not sure if that is true, but it sure sounds good! Chicago is more like India--the rich pass by the dying poor on the Magnificent Mile, looking past them as if they don't exist.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Memory hickup... Might just have been all the mappers from his Department at U of I, Champaign, Urbana, that carried the weapon... Was a long time ago...

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
louie and Planet,
If/when you go to Alaska let me know and I'll point out some good out of the way places, unfortunately Alaska has become crowded, to fish in SE. South Central is a madhouse anywhere there is a road.

Planet,
Alaska, when I lived there, was a lot like eastern Oregon in the 50's. EVERYONE HELPED when someone was in need. Unfortunately things were going to hell when I left, in the fall of '99.

As for carrying a shotgun for bear protection....not a good idea. If you use LARGE hard copper plated shot and copper saboted slugs it will work but soft shot and slugs will not consistently penetrate and "stop" a bear, pistols are worse. We would tell the chechakos that they needed to file off the front sight of their pistol if they were planning on using it on bear. When asked "Why?" we'd tell them that it would make it easier to remove when the bear shoved it up their ass!
I spent many days in the forest and bays of SE without carrying a firearm but when I did it was either my 338-06 or one of my 375H&H's. The only time I had problems with brown bear was in Hoonah and the Hoonah area and one time was part my fault for not being "bear aware" and I walked up on a LARGE boor at the dump that didn't want to leave it's meal. I made it to the truck with yards to spare.....FYI, bear don't run fast when running through human excrement. Seeing bear almost every day was one of the high points of living in SE and working in the SE Alaskan bush.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
keta , by reading my post of alaska, obviously im an amatuer on alaska, its always been i the back of my dreams to explore the untamed country, pitch a tent, struggle some rubbash for meals, find an exotic wild creeks and fly fish, also would like to dropperloop 80 lb outfit for biigggggggggggggggg halibuts and monsterous lings as seen on t.v. and magazines.

being an amatuer explorist to alaska, I WILL TAKE YOUR OFFER.

planet no need for the gun, lol im not a big game hunter, so i would run my fu&@ing a$$ off.lol

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
KETA do you still live in alaska, i know you mentioned s.e. and the other areas, so what part should i look up in the handy dandy map.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!