Find
Notify
Tools

Bait tank ettiquette
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
No, I ran into health issues and couldn't work. No work in Alaska is far worse than no work in Oregon and the lovely wife had already moved down so I ended up here.

Tongass NF is a good start, many fly in cabins on lakes that produce everything from cutthroat trout to salmon with a few greyling lakes (very few) tossed in. Most not on tidewater have skiffs but you have to bring a motor. Make reservations early as they are usually booked through the summer.

As for big buts, anything over 60 lbs is most likely a hen and the eating quality of big fish is poor, not bad but not the same as 30-60 pound fish. They are wormy and have more accumulated toxins. That said, Sitka or Petersburg are probably your best bet for large butts with the Crag/Klawalk (POW Island)area a close second. There is several good lakes and rivers on POW too with a good road system linking many of them. To get to POW you will either have to fly in to Klawalk or take the Island Ferry from Ketchikan to Clark Bay (Hollis) and drive over to Crag/Klawalk. Only black bear (mostly) on POW but a black bear mauling isn't a good thing.

As for outrunning bear....you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddies.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
looks like i better loose wieght.lol

next year , alaska is the plan, yo planet you wanna race.lol

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Bears don't maul many people, in fact the most dangerous wild animal in Alaska is a cow moose with calves. In 15 years I only had 4 or 5 bad experiances with bears and most of them were my fault. My oldest daughter (10 at the time) would run around the bears that were along side the road we lived on on the way home from the bus stop and get me so I could chase them back into the woods so the other kids could get home. These were human habituated garbage can bears with little or no fear of man but a dislike for rocks bouncing off their side or head. Black bear are sneeky and will occasionally stalk a human, brown bear are chickens and will USUALY run off unless protecting a food cashe or cubs.

Keep a clean camp, fish scraps atract bear, and you probably will have no bear issues.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Hey, Keta!

Thank you for the excellent offer: I'm with Louie. The rocket guys are all outdoorsmen, and all have wanted to see AK as have I, since we were boys!

It is a shame to hear that the spirit of solidarity is slipping there too. Maybe life is getting too easy, or maybe the people moving there are bringing issues from the lower 48 north. Reminds me of that old saying, all good things must come to an end.

Thanks for the heads-up about the choice of weapon for self-preservaton. Some of the rocketmen take an annual fall trip to Wyoming or Montana for an elk hunt. I'll print and save your comments, and that ought to tell the these dudes what to pack. My brother told me that interior areas are heavily infested with skeeters, so I suspect that jungle mesh is needed.

Wow, a chance to go to AK will take a lot of planning, to be done right...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Keta, not working sounds better than working to me! :-) Hopefully your health issue is cleared sufficiently so that you can enjoy yourself. If 70 mile days on the water are an indication, it's looking promising! :-)

Thanks for the tip on the fish, too, Keta! My wife and I have a favorite Vietnamese dish: halibut cooked with sugar cane in a clay pot--unbelievable! Impossible to get quality fresh halibut here unless ordering direct from AK (one of the physicians with whom I work does that). I'd love to catch a big one, but release sounds like the ticket. No problem, cause I'd be a big deal to get a lot of anything back (the rocket ain't coming back, parts that are not vaporized will lie at the bottom of the Pacific).

As for racing, Louie, I don't think so. With one blind eye, I'd run like a banshee from one bear and smack into the six of another. If push comes to shove maybe I'll try that Crok Dundee hand waving thing: hahaha! Or, wait--oh yeah, rocket motors! There has to be something one can do to stop a wannabe man-eating bear using a rocket motor! Maybe stick it where the sun don't shine and ignite? Talk about Smokey! HAHAHA!!! Hey, I love animals, but not being eaten by them: wife and kid *just* picked up a puppy chihuahua, forgot how cute and funny pups are--this one is a true peanut, with emphasis on "pee" and "nut". Dodoman, when you are planning your trip, I'd love to know--maybe we can meet-up for awhile anyway, even if the rocket ain't ready? My wife might even support it, if she and kid can go to some place they'd enjoy (an animal preserve, for example).

Our bands drummer is a big-time high-altitude mountaineer (free-climber). Last week he returned from a two-week trek in the Sierra's, summited four 14ers. He used anti-bear food storage containers, hung from trees. Worked fine, not a single problem with bear, though he said he heard some large animals near camp at night.

Sounds like your daughter had a fantastic place to grow up, Keta: that's terrific. The memories and lessons hould stay with her throughout life, I'd imagine. The worst part of living where I do is raising my young daughter here: where playgrounds are concrete! My kid saw the north star sometime recently and told me: "look dad, stars!" What a stinkhole! Argh!!! As I said earlier, this mess I am in is my fault...

Captain
posted Hide Post
RATS! Now I remember that it was Jan who plowed through 70 miles in a day! I am sorry for the confusion... I *hope* you can do as well, Keta...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
this sure is cheaper than a long distance phone conversation, lol.

planet, i have some ideas on were i would like to go in alaska, such as kodiak island, nothing like wearing a bears coat, racoon hat, a carved wooden walking stick, a leather bag of smoked seals, rabbit fur wrapped hiking boots, and a bottle of yukon jack stashed down my waist,walk in to a local bar meet a scared left eyed older fella with a smoking pipe they call him ( follow the bear),he smells like leather and whale fat, talking about how he got the scare from wrestling a bear, drinking moonshine ( home brewed in his backyard, lol
just kidding about all that.

ive been looking at the yukons more or less maybe build a wooden boat and follow the river down to ( hear i go again )lol

maybe it the wild in me that wants to explore , dont wanna be in some crowded town ( population 156 ), im kinda looking for some remote area to pitch a tent next to a fine creek for a few days , then hike to a local fish town to do some halibuts, hopfully they dont branding iron me as a tourist( thats were the bear coat comes into play), sure would like to pay the local price.

well i just hope all falls into plan for next year, gotta lotta catching up to do first, also promised the wife ( hawaii ).

i know if i mention anything like fishing pole, tent, wilderness, she would go on her little ---------- you know what i mean.

i just gotta come up with a plan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DODOMAN,

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
SORRY MSNRD55 , WE STOMPED ALOVER YOUR POST.

P/S DID,NT MEAN TO.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mike, what Louie said.

Louie, wow. To bad you're not serious about the Kodiac Island rig--sounds really cool! :-)

The only time I rafted a powerful river was the Blue in Colorado--it was a wild trip, even though I had a guide. From what I've heard, rivers in AK are much bigger, raw, untamed... The Huck Finn idea sounds really fun, if not suicidal (I raft like I ride horses--not very well,lack of experience or training)! :-) I always wanted to raft Ole Muddy, your idea is grander than that! Still, Call of the Wild rings in my memory--need to avoid building a fire underneath the snow-covered branches of a pine, or travel with a slow, unobservant dog!

I had no idea there were local prices and tourist prices! Is that everywhere? I think *everyone* knows I'm an out-of-towner, cause charters cost between $400 and $600 for a half-day regardless of where I went (Cabo, Hawaii, Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Jamaica, Florida).

Yeah, the plan, the wife, the ..... Yep, bro, I know. When I go, two to three days will be devoted to the launch. I hope to swing the fishing around that (also give me more launch opps in case of bad weather). I'll be telling mine that the trip is about rocketry. That way she might not scalp me (or worse) when I drop the news that I'm also planning a 10-day AND a 16-day, assuming things go my way. Need to try to hook (then catch) a YFT that looks something like what Keta caught...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
wow, 16 days, wow.

what boat, now your talking big fish.
i dont know if i would ever do a 16 dayer, to much traveling involved with a 10 or even 8 dayers.

16 dayers , aahhh just to much for me .

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Well, not *sure* about the boat, Dodoman. At this point, the best deal for long trips that I know of is the Polaris Supreme. This season she's going out twice, once for 18 days (8 anglers--wayyy to much $$ for me, Dec-Jan), and again for 14 days (20 anglers, feasible cost, Jan-Feb). Gordon (my fishing bro) has his eye on two other trips, though I don't know the specifics. We are waiting till we return from our forthcoming 10-day to determine what to do. We really love the October 10-days, cause of the variety of species that are active. But, we both want to try the long trip. Two of our buds on the trip last year, both of whom had more than a dozen 10-days under their belts, are making the 14-day trip this year. Gordon and I both decided that we need more work with technique. Till I can handle 100# YFT without fatigue, I am not yet using my equipment correctly. That's the mission this year, improve technique...

When your kids are older, Dodoman, you'll have more time. Hopefully soon!! If anyone belongs out there, you do...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
well thanks planet, maybe in the future i just might, just might, ahhh to much traveling, they wouldnt have enough beer to keep me busy on the 3 or 4 days ride down, or the ride back up the line lol.
the most boring part , unless they make stops every now and then to pump the blood up.

ive caught a 80lber and some change on a 40 set up tyed to a blue/white # 5 iron, the oldman next to me said your crazy. well after about a good 45 min in to it , this old man accidently wraped his line with mine or should i say he was not fast enough to move out of the way and i told him ( YOUR GOING UP THE RAIL WITH ME ) LOL. ( he had spectra )

i didnt think he liked that,nice guy though, he kept up with me on the fish untill one of the deckys showed up to help. bought him a beer afterwards , and he replied , your still crazy.

well i managed to bring in the fish ofcource, then moved up to 60 lb outfit.

i really enjoyed doing the 40, much easyer on the fish ,lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
You'll be out there, dude!

IMO, going down on the 10-day is great--gearing up, seminars, meeting the dudes, eating some great grub, relaxing as much as possible (yet the anxiety to get the action started lingers in the air). The trip back from the stones was very, very relaxing. Apparently there was a big storm, and the ride was extremely bumpy, but I missed all that catching up on a lot of basically sleepness nights. Apparently most everyone on the longer trips elects to fly back from Cabo, rather than ride the rough water back.

On my trip, one of the senior men used a 30# outfit to freeline bait, and his YFT took him 2 hours to land. He wasn't able to fish the rest of the day, and was not feeling well all night. He recovered and went on to pound the fish, but never used the light line on YFT again. It was his second 10-day trip, with the trips spaced by 10 years. The first trip he had the same experience--large tuna on small line. BOTH trips, he won the jackpot. Smart like a fox!

Captain
posted Hide Post
In response to Capn Louie Albano.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
SORRY MSNRD55 , WE STOMPED ALOVER YOUR POST.
P/S DID,NT MEAN TO.
DODOMAN
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Louie i don't think its you who should appologize to MSNRD55. Its my bad! I'm the "Wild Tangent" of the boards. I was looking back at my posts and it looks like i sway just about every post into a side thought and for that.

I AM DEEPLY SORRY! I am a ripe b@sturd! Sorry to MSNRD55. =(

What were we talking about again?

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah Alaska. My buddy fished with this guy while he was up there with his dad.

http://awardcharters.com/

they fished with a 2 pound jig

Did anyone see that 320 pound BUT on the front page of Charkbait? OMG!!!!!!!! If i saw that I would've cut the line. That thing is plain scarry!

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post