The CharkBoards!
Reel Care at Sea

This topic can be found at:
http://charkbait.evecommunity.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5281010491/m/583000457001

27 August 2012, 08:58 AM
nijolo
Reel Care at Sea
I have an upcoming 6 day trip that I'm getting ready for and was wondering what guys do to care for their reels while they are on long range trips. I'm planning on bringing a fresh water spray bottle to wash the salt off them each night but wonder if that is sufficient. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
27 August 2012, 09:04 AM
ak-fish
That's what I do. I keep meaning to mix some Salt-X in the bottle but have yet to do so. Do bring a small tube of oil (I prefer Corrosion-X) to drop on the handle knob and, if you use a level wind, on the worm gear.
28 August 2012, 06:21 PM
nijolo
Thanks, just want to make sure I do whatever I can to prevent problems while out on the water.
29 August 2012, 02:47 PM
jayorbon
I keep mine wrapped up until I start fishing. Then I just fish; clean them up when I get back. Not seeing corrosion on 10 day trips. I think pulling the line off when I get home is more importnat than daily wash downs.
03 September 2012, 04:27 PM
sacto
IF you have properly serviced and prepared them for your trip, a light rinse with fresh water each evening and morning will be plenty.

Some of the trendy lubricants being pushed are pretty bad in the protection category.
06 September 2012, 07:16 PM
SDTuna09
A fresh water bath, warm if possible along with a soft brush and then a dry cloth will keep the reels happy unless you smoke the drags on a hot fish. Then it's labor intensive

SDTuna