New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reel Care at Sea
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I have an upcoming 6 day trip that I'm getting ready for and was wondering what guys do to care for their reels while they are on long range trips. I'm planning on bringing a fresh water spray bottle to wash the salt off them each night but wonder if that is sufficient. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
That's what I do. I keep meaning to mix some Salt-X in the bottle but have yet to do so. Do bring a small tube of oil (I prefer Corrosion-X) to drop on the handle knob and, if you use a level wind, on the worm gear.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just want to make sure I do whatever I can to prevent problems while out on the water.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I keep mine wrapped up until I start fishing. Then I just fish; clean them up when I get back. Not seeing corrosion on 10 day trips. I think pulling the line off when I get home is more importnat than daily wash downs.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
IF you have properly serviced and prepared them for your trip, a light rinse with fresh water each evening and morning will be plenty.

Some of the trendy lubricants being pushed are pretty bad in the protection category.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SDTuna09
posted Hide Post
A fresh water bath, warm if possible along with a soft brush and then a dry cloth will keep the reels happy unless you smoke the drags on a hot fish. Then it's labor intensive

SDTuna

Posts: 248 | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post