CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Rod for my Penn Conquerer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod for my Penn Conquerer
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I have a Penn Conquerer and it is the only spinning reel I own for saltwater. I really like its super smooth drag and overall performance but I dont like the current rod I for it ( a quantum boca given to me by a friend). Any recommendations on a suitable rod that can handle spectra?

Posts: 45 | Registered: 17 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
What pound test line will you be running?

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Which model of Conquer reel do you have, and generally what style/location fishing will you be doing?

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Sorry for leaving out the specifics. The reel is a Conquerer 5000 and Im running straight 30lb spectra. I used it to live bait calicos in the kelp in the summer but thinking about bottom fishing reds with it this winter.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Hey Dominic - good question(s). The Conquer 5000 is a fun reel for inshore fishing, especially bass and barracuda. I think 30# is ideal for it; just the way you have it.

As far as a bottom fishing rig, suffice to say you'll have an "interesting" time with it. I have no doubt that you will catch fish with the setup, but generally with rockfishing, guys opt for a little bit heavier conventional setup and a bit more line capacity. Also, I would consider 50# or even 65# spectra when fishing cod.

Your 30# spinning setup will do the job, but it may be a bit more awkward/cumbersome than a traditional conventional reel like one of Penn's new Fathom reels, a Torque, or even an old-school Jigmaster (shameless Penn plugs - you're welcome, Steve!)

For rods, I like "softer" rods if I'm fishing mostly spectra. This allows the fish and your multi-hook rock cod leader/gangion to "load up" and the rod will provide a bit of cushion from the unstretchable spectra. For your 5000 now, I might recommend a Charkbait 30# Spinning Inshore series rod. For a typical glass rod, a Calstar or Seeker 270, 870, or 970 should do the trick (870 and 970 for 50# - 65# spectra).

I hope this helps!

- Mike

Posts: 108 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, i have another Charkbait insore rod and really like it. I'll drop by the shop this week and check out my rod options.