CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Tips and Techniques    Joining 2 solid braid with Hollow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining 2 solid braid with Hollow
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Hi ALL,

I have my own Windon leaders and have done joining 2 spools of holow together (all following Mark’s video) but have NOT join two solid before so please tell me what I am about to do is correct Smiler

Total I will use 6 feet of TT-Hollow + 200 Yards of 60lbs Solid + 200 yard of 70lbs Solid

~ Insert 2 feet 60lbs SolidBraid Into 60lbs TT-Hollow, leave 1/2inch and back into the Hollow 1 feet.

~ Insert 2 feet 70lbs SolidBraid Into 60lbs TT-Hollow, leave 1/2inch and back into the Hollow 1 feet.

~ Nail knot and adhesive on both “insertion” points

Will this hold?

Posts: 67 | Registered: 13 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
If I'm reading correctly, you're using a section of hollowcore to connect two sections of "solid" braid. You could do two bimini's on the braid and then connect those, but the hollow splice should be a lot cleaner and test better since you're eliminating two knots and this will flow thru guides more smoothly. I will say, going 200# to connect 70# solid will NOT provide the grip that's needed - it's TOO BIG A LINE and too big a difference in size to grip well. You'd be better off doing the same with 60 or 80# at the max - not 200 since you won't have enough grip. The lighter lines, same or similar test, will provide better grip. If you go with such a high test connecting braid you would need to extend the solid into the hollow a very long length and even then you may not achieve the grip that's needed.

Okay, I would first insert the solid into hollow 3 feet, then exit the hollow 1/4" and re-insert and run her up again 1-2 feet (the longer the more conservative and in my mind better). Same routine for the other side. You'll end both by going out of the hollow and back in with your "tag" section to lock that down and for this one I'd again exit 1/4" and tuck the single strand back into the hollow by a few inches. This should work, but in all honesty I've not tried to connect solids this way, I'd be more inclined, as I've done, to simply move from the solid to hollow and end her there.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
No Mark, not 200lbs TT Hollow.

A section of 6 feet 60lbs TT Hollow (12 Stren if that matters). Using this 6feet Hollow connecting a spool of 60lbs Solid and a spool of 70lbs Solid on each end.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, I really do need that extra shot of coffee in the morn. All good with the 60 to do what you mention, just be conservative, trap the line once or twice for good measure.
GS<
MS

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have joined solid spectra with a 7 turn uni-uni knot, cinched with knot pullers, and with a drop of Tac Glue. I wouldn't do this for cows, but then I'm typically using hollow. Has anyone tested the uni-uni knot tied this way with, say, 65# braid? And I risking catastrophic failure when I tie into a nice fish?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chark:
Jeeze, I really do need that extra shot of coffee in the morn. All good with the 60 to do what you mention, just be conservative, trap the line once or twice for good measure.
GS<
MS

Thank you

Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ak-fish:
I have joined solid spectra with a 7 turn uni-uni knot, cinched with knot pullers, and with a drop of Tac Glue. I wouldn't do this for cows, but then I'm typically using hollow. Has anyone tested the uni-uni knot tied this way with, say, 65# braid? And I risking catastrophic failure when I tie into a nice fish?

Don’t know much about this still learning. But I like the Hollow having smoother finished when joined. Since you mentioned you typically used hollow, I wouldn’t risk it with the Uni knot, but that’s just me.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I only use a I]uni-uni connection with solid line. It's worked so far...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Use the knots you tie most often, you're probably better at them. Back almost 20 years ago, Tom Harman and I went thru the uni to uni vs. bimini twist to reverse albright debate. He did things my way, begrudgingly. But, once I got a line testing machine the point was proved. The doubled uni would break at a lower pound test than would the bimini to reverse albright, quite a bit earlier. For connecting two solid braids, here I make the guys go with doubled bimini twists, 30 turns. It's bulky, two bulky knots, but they hold and the more the guys here do 'em the better they get. Consistency is important.

No doubt a guy can make use of other knots, but you'll always tie the ones you use the most best, and those will provide the greatest confidence. It's something to experiment with, for sure. But, like AK, for heavier tests, I'm pretty much exclusively hollowcore with my own reels, 20# and up, splicing and threading rather than knots (except for nail knots used with the inline rigging).

Great Stuff!
Mark