Find
Notify
Tools

spectra to mono
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Hi all,

I am new to the boards and new to spectra. I have not been fishing is a couple of years. Have a 10day coming up in oct. Can't sleep at night thinking about it. I have read through past post, and it seems bimini/albright is the knot to go for lines over 60#. Can anyone tell me from first hand experience the strength of that knot over a sato crimp and glue?
Thanks,
RD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fishnrust,

Posts: 9 | Registered: 28 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my poor manners Fishnrust, and welcome to our little bored...

Burn off some of that excess energy learning how to do/make wind-ons.
The only place crimps should/are used are if your on a boat in a hurry and don't have a whipping jig.
Crimps will beat the hell out of anything other than a roller guide, and hell you've already done the hard part anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mnrd55,

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
hello fishinrust, welcome to the board. as for your question (which boat are you getting on ). i tye straight albright to uni.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise guys. I am on the AA, first trip in Oct.

Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
What type of spectra are you using hollow or solid? It will make a difference on the type of connections you can use.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
SoCal-
Good point, I have hollow 135, thinking of 100# leader. Mark said bimini/albright is a great knot yet may have difficulty with knot running through guides. Your thoughts???

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
with that heavy of a line i would assume your using it on rollers.

so i will correct my self, albright to uni , i like to use it on the lighter stuff 30, 40, 50.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to rig, and there are a few threads on this board going over options. My inclination is the 30-40 turn bimini and 30-40 wind albright. The knot diameter can be large when running 100# mono or greater, but with a little help going through the tip-top there's no issue. The benefits are ease and speed in rigging (with a tad of practice) and the knots hold up well. Alternatively, you can use the Sato connection system or a served connection. Also pre-made wind-ons are available. The Sato is pretty much idiot-proof and makes for a smooth transition. The served connection can also be great, but I've seen many come apart with larger fish due to improper rigging, not tight enough, not redundant connection/ties...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1545 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
MS...This link is from http://www.pcsportfishing.com/Spectra-406web.pdf.

Excellent article on how the pros are making connections.

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Spent the last two weekends on the El Capitan, a coulple of 2-days. No fish the first weekend, only 7 for whole boat. Capt Allen found them multiple times, just wouldnt bite. 2nd weekend, limit of albies, 1yt, 1mako. All spectra to mono connects held. Of course, they were bought from Charkbait! I did, however, loose two fish due to uni/uni knot failure on the floro/mono connection. Odd part was both knotshad alreadycaught fish prior to failing. 1st knot was 20floro to 20 mono. It landed the yellow, retied a hook onto floro, then uni/uni failed on albie. 2nd knot, 40floro to 40mono, landed a 25#+ albie, then failed on the 2nd fish. I did 5 turn on each uni. Any one else had this problem? Any ideas? Do I need to go back to knot tying 101?

Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks SD, that article is a keeper.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I dont know how this will work for you saltwater guys but i take a 4" piece of shrink tube run it down about 4 feet over the spectra feed the mono about 3 to 4 feet into the hollowbraid put some shue goo at the end of the spectra then slide the shrink tube over the joint and hit it with a hair dryer. This setup has worked on my fly rod for the last 10 years or so. someone might want to give it a try if they are up to an experiment.

Posts: 35 | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post