New
Find
Notify
Tools

taping spools
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I heard from someone when I was on a local 1/2 day trip that he tapped his spool on his baitcasters so that it keeps the saltwater from getting in his reel.

I just wanted to get your opinions on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ken725,

Posts: 17 | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of AzFish
posted Hide Post
JMO, but tape isn't going to stop saltwater.

Posts: 131 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
I have heard that a thin film of CorrosionX helps. Don't know first hand though.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what tapping means. I unscrew each screw and squirt some synthetic grease into the opening in hopes that it will seal that opening when the screw is reinserted.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
The guy said that before he puts line on the spool of his baitcaster he wraps it with waterproof tape.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Its done to keep the line from spinning on the spool during initial installation.
But if it makes him happy, i'll say its for corrosion proofing, drag increasing or a secret fish catching method trick of the Mayan Elders

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
We use a non-absorbant hospital grade wraping tape on the spool prior to filling the reel (when we load spectra). This gives the line something more to grip on, less prone to move on the spool itself under load. While the tape does not absorb water, water still can penetrate to a spool. We're also doing some experimenting with parafin used as a base prior to putting on the tape. If someone is highly concerned about spool corrosion, Swifty's line removal and wash system provides a great means of insurance when used with regularity.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1542 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I would just let it rot away like GOD intended.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I use waxed rigging floss 2-3 passes when I start a spool then tie the rigging floss to the spectra. I have also been waxing the spools prior to adding the line, I haven't had any corrosion on the spools yet.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Could be a light weight, drilled spool and he's wrapping it to keep water out. I know Shimano says you don't have to do that even with the DC models. I put flextape (non-absorbant hospital grade wraping tape) on the spool prior to the spectra to help the spectra grip the spool.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
If you are worried about saltwater on your spool start using Newells. Smiler

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Then you can worry about the gears failing or the plastic breaking, That definitely is a FINAL SOLUTION !! Only when you catch real fish, but they cast really great.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post