CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  CharkBait Forum  Hop To Forums  CharkBoard Chat    Fish care after trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish care after trip
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I've never used the fish prep services at Fisherman's Landing and would like to know what the consensus is about what they do.

I'm going on a 7 day to Alijos in October. I've frozen my fish on board in the past and filleted them at home. By the time I drive back to Pasadena with a truck load of tuna it is usually thawed enough to fillet, but the last few fish are too soft and I haven't liked the quality. I'm thinking of just brining all of my fish on board then having them filleted and packaged there before freezing them.

Waht do you think? Any input is appreciated.

Posts: 30 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
check to find out, if your boat has R.S.W.

they come out so much fresher then the brine.
once you get off the boat, you,ll find 3 or more processer ready at your service.

5 star or marios would be my first 2 choices.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
5 Star did a Great job on my fish last year. I was very impressed. Save yourself some work and let them do it!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DODOMAN:
check to find out, if your boat has R.S.W.

they come out so much fresher then the brine.
once you get off the boat, you,ll find 3 or more processer ready at your service.

5 star or marios would be my first 2 choices.

Thanks for the input Dodoman. That's what I'm going to do. I'm gettin' pretty lazy I guess. I like the idea of filleting while the fish are still relatively fresh and vacuum packing. Did you have them freeze the fish too, or bring it home first?

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
its made to order, to your request.

you can also have them canned, vaccumed, or even smoked.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I guess freezing would take another day. I think I will try to get them home in boxes and then freeze them. I'm tired of opening bags and being disappointed with the quality.

Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
They can box them up with ice or dry ice and they should make it back to your house just fine. I've taken them from S.D. to Ventura County and they are fine. This is the only way to do it, saves a lot of time and mess.

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
5 star is a good choice. You can also stimulate some exotic dancers economy (or visa versa0, they are just around the corner. It makes waiting a little easier.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
star is an awesome service provider.

Also. Just to set the record straight in my wee little opinion.

The Roayl Star set precedence with the R.S.W system. The quality of the fish is Night and Dat different. MAK SURE TO RSW your fish.

Then, have the fish vacuum packed. I drive 2200 miles to my trips from the S.E. corner of Missouri. Then? I drive my fish home, on dry ice.

Yea, yea, yea. I know I am psycho. Whatever. I have never, lost a fillet from my travels. And having been born and raised in Ventura, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the fish will make it to Pasadena. No problem.

Good luck and good fishing.

ON A SIDE NOTE!

I have also used Mario's with fantastic results and traded fish on the dock for canned. 5 star also has guys that will deliver the fish to your house for cash!

Posts: 893 | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
What is RSW ?

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
RSW is Refrigerated Sea water. The temp is usually kept about 30 degrees. The fish are spiked, bled out, gilled and gutted, then, put into the RSW tank.

This chills the fish from the inside and the outside at the same time. Thus making for an incredible product at the dock.

The processor then meets the boat dockside with rolling carts filled with sea water chilled at the same temp. The fish is then transferred to these carts, loaded onto trucks and taken to the processing center.

From there, to your house and freezer. The difference is phenomenal. The product is to die for.

I urge you to stay away from freezing your fish on the boats, UNLESS!!!!!! the trip is to long to work with the RSW.

Check with the folks at the Royal Star about RSW. They wrote the book on it.

Captain
posted Hide Post
I have never been on the Royal Star, but most fish on longrange boats are bled and spiked. When the bites over, dropped in the RSW.
And maybe I missed it, but never saw any icewater filled carts at the docks. Ice maybe to be shoveled over fish, that i've seen.
You must be within 5 days of port for RSW, MAX! Any longer and they freeze it, period.
I fish with some Asians that won't even start fishing till they can use the RSW, they don't want frozen fish.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of pigsticker
posted Hide Post
5 star brings slush water to the boats in carts. Man is that water cold.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
my very last 8 dayer on the r.p. had r.s.w.

it was cool watching the dodo,s swimming in the tank for a moment.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I just returned today from a 7 day aboard Searcher that was epic. 477 fish of which 154 were Wahoo! We arrived in port today at 6 a.m. I gave my fish to 5 Star and left their facility at 10:16 a.m. for home with my fish filleted and vacuum packed. What a fantastic service!!!

By the way, be careful.....one guy was walking around claiming to be from 5 Star and took several loads of fish from the dock plus payments. I don't know what happened after that but 5 Star was pretty pissed. The two ladies told me this happened so I am pretty sure it is true.