New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Quintin
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
Just reserved a boat at Don Eddies Landing in San Quintin for 2 day WSB trip. But I never been there nor driven that far into Mexico. Has anyone drove out there before? I'm in need dire of directions. If anyone could provide me direction, drive time (from the border), what to expect, best time to drive there, etc. would all be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines!

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
You might really want to check BD.com, someone just got jacked up MAJOR near the border.
Godspeed and drivesafe.

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
welcome aboard, a friend goes down there on a yearly basis and says the fishing is great most of the time. if the water is turned , you still can fish some species. its about 5 hrs drive on the only highway down there, the food is cheap, the panga rentals are pretty cheap also.

the only thing is he goes in a caravan of 4 to 6 trucks , he will not attempt it alone.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
So in other words, stay out of Mexico. Damn that sucks, cuz the fishin is great over there! I've driven down to Ensenada plenty of times with no major problems other then having to pay off the federales for so called speeding. But then again that has only happened right at the border (TJ). Seriously, is it really that bad to go past Ensenada? How far does the Toll road extend? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the toll road fairly safe?

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Forgot to ask...What's "BD.com"? I typed it in and its a medical group website.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
its safer to travel in pack.

every now and then a body is found on the side of the rode, he was not passed out drunk.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
Years past I would surf and fish tuna out of San Quintin.

I did everything wrong by normal stds of operation. Like leave San Clemente at 11 PM and arrive in San Quintin JIT to go fishing. Then rent a room right at the "OLd Mill" and surf or fish the next day depending on the swell and the bite.

I always fished with a panga jocky "Tiburon" who after my 5 or 6 trip would let me sleep in his yard and clean my fish right there also. Back in the day it was about $100 plus a tip.

We are talking the late 90's and early 2000's. Never a fuss with anyone. I ran daylighters on my nght runs so the road was lite up like daytime for about 50 yds across the road and 150 yds staight ahead. My worst adventure were cows in the road as I came around a corner.

Times and places change. Here is a good lnk http://www.mexfish.com/sqnt/sqnt2005/sqnt050711a/sqnt050711a.htm...TIBURON'S PANGAS. Located on the road near the Old Mill Hotel, north (right) side of the street. Fishing location: San Quintin. Custom panga fishing in San Quintin...

Hope this helps

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post